coping

Coping Mechanisms

My quick go to coping mechanisms - don't end up making me feel better

  • sweets - lots of them
  • alcohol at night - turns my brain off and helps me sleep
  • Sleep
  • Staring at my phone and scrolling
  • Buying lots of things - could go either way with good or bad as decor items and things that are beautiful end up using my creative brain 
How I feel after these 
  • guilty
  • convicted because I gain weight by them and I had tried so hard to 
  • sluggish and not fully present
Themes
  • immediate feel good effects
  • keeps me still
  • involves only me
  • after I feel worse


Things that change how I feel for the better

Exercise

  • going to the Y and walking
  • doing exercise that I know how to do - I don't like being challenged beyond what I can do, but would rather slowly build over time  
Being outside on a beautiful day

  • going on a walk
  • staring at water
  • Being on the water
    • Canoe, Kayak, swimming, on a boat
Talking to a Long Time Friend or meeting with them in person

Buying lots of things - could go either way with good or bad as decor items and things that are beautiful end up using my creative brain

Journaling

  • Gets the never stopping thoughts out of my head onto paper so they don't have to stay in my head anymore
Knitting or other creative outlets
  • Creative and has a final usable product

Themes

  • Requires planning
  • Movement
  • Involves others
  • Uses my brain rather than shuts it off
  • has longer lasting effects that make me feel better