Notes from the Couch 11/2 & 11/16

 Notes from the Couch 11/2 & 11/16

  • Freedom - Vertical
  • Why am I not having melt downs anymore?

    • allowing myself to be in the phase of life that I'm in
    • putting my own think time in schedule
    • closer with the Lord
    • serving with Jason in Kids
    • Rosie in preschool
    • giving myself more grace and slowing down
    • cut out alcohol - helped give so much more freedom

  • Freedom isn't something someone can hand to me, it's a thoughtful choice
  • Compassion, Kindness, Gratitude
    Hope Deferred
    Good desire and good hunger
    Value in pacing the hunger

motivation <--------------------------------->debilitation 

    intensity of hunger gets you to the debilitation faster - the thicker the hunger, the more tipping toward condemnation

  • In Amazing Grace - you can't skip the pain that got the writer to the lyrics
  • Bridiling my own choices can lead me to share out of humility
  • But at the same time respect people's choices for themselves rather than being bitter and angry
  • Beginning of the UNFOLDING OF FREEDOM
Body Image
  • body betrayal
    • can't trust it
    • relationship with body that's not based on people/the collective expectations
    • entitlement
      • body "should" be like
      • my body doesn't owe me anything - I am just borrowing it while on earth
  • manage things with gratitude - "I love my eyes. that I can see. Walk. smile so big..."
  • my body is my garden
  • What "shoulds" do I do?
  • Invited into harnessing gratitude
  • Differentiation
    • my own thoughts, values
    • someone else talking poorly about their body doesn't mean I need to think poorly about my own 
Back to the Island
  • My island doesn't have to be a threatening island, it's my island...it can be as wonderful as I want to make it
  • Ego strength - When it comes to mental well-being, ego strength is often used to describe an individual's ability to maintain their identity and sense of self in the face of pain, distress, and conflict. Researchers have also suggested that acquiring new defenses and coping mechanisms is an important component of ego strength.
    • An individual with solid ego-strength approaches challenges with a sense that he or she can overcome the problem and even grow as a result.
    • Even when very difficult events or tragedies occur, those who possess ego strength are able to pick themselves up, dust themselves off and move forward with a sense of optimism.
    • Individuals with low ego strength struggle to cope in the face of problems and may try to avoid reality through wishful thinking, substance use, and fantasies.
  • Authentic Worship
What makes me not...
  • handing over power to something else
  • keep it for myself
Comfortable in my own skin in emotional health