Notes from the couch 10/7 & 10/19

Notes from the couch 10/7/21 & 10/19/21

  • Fight, flight, freeze, caretaker
    • Identify my stress response allows me to see my options to intentionally work toward the opposite
    • Fight- inhibit tongue
    • Freeze - find tongue
    • Flight - stay engaged
    • Care taker - sit down and engage the person instead of be all over the place
    • More practice, more stress, cause less activity
    • tend to have conflict when others are fighters
    • What are my options to grow in the opposite direction in of my stress response?
    • Can I Shrink the amount of time before I call my mom?
    • More data to try and protect her or avoid consequence
    • As a freezer - Practice remaining involved in the process, how can I help you, help us? They don’t have to have all of the power.
  • Differentiation is a marathon, not a sprint
    • Where there is trust and respect a lot more durability to endure and navigate with differentiation
  • Agency is the bridge toward what we seek - don’t have more power over me that the Lord has orchestrated all my days
  • How do I switch my focus in life to God & me?
    • From a horizontal focus to a vertical one
    • Look up!
  • How do I quarantine approval?
  • When I talk about grief, why do I want to always include the "happy" parts?
    • want to "show" that I am not "doubting" God's goodness or work in the midst of the hard
    • why do I think God's "goodness" or "work" is only in the "happy?"
  • Don't let my own "perceived" thoughts, have the power over the truth in my life
  • Strategic Denial
    • it is ok and good to take things one step at a time, one dish at a time rather than trying to "fix" the entire mountain at once
    • strategic to focus on one area at a time
    • permission to work on one area at a time and not "failing" if I put one area to the side while focusing on another area
  • Growing is a marathon - no timeline to when I "have" to have grown and changed and figured out my island
    • Walk, journey - like in Lord of the Rings, one foot in front of the other
  • Back to the island
    • self validated intimacy
    • how can I be my own best friend
    • have my own self respect/self awareness
    • what do I observe about my own inner world